Lisa Pelanne, MS, E-RYT500, YACEP
Lisa is grateful to share wellness practices including yoga, meditation, dance, health education, and Thai Yoga bodywork to all populations. She is passionate about teaching accessible, adaptive, and inclusive well-being practices that support each practitioner’s unique journey by focusing on acceptance, gratitude, grace, and compassion.
Lisa is a Faculty Yoga Teacher Trainer with the Kunga Yoga School at In Balance Yoga in Blacksburg, Virginia leading 200 and 300-hour Yoga Teacher Trainings. She also leads workshops in Yin Yoga and Meditation. She completed her 200-hour Yoga Teacher Training with Nicole Lafon in 2016 at In Balance Yoga in Blacksburg, Virginia and her 300-hour Kunga Yoga Service Leadership Yoga Teacher Training with Kunga faculty at the Wilmington Yoga Center in North Carolina in 2018.
A passionate student, she studies widely across disciplines to inform her worldview and teaching philosophy. She is grateful to her many teachers including Marion Mease, Nicole Lafon, Lynn Theodose, Noelle Whittington, and Kristen Cooper-Gulak. She is grateful to have studied with:
- Yin Yoga with Richard Gartner (2016), with Cindy Lunsford (2016), and with Bernie Clark (2018)
- Acupoint Tapping with Dr. Peter Borten (2021)
- Barkan Method Hot Yoga with Nicole Lafon (2016)
- Vinyasa/Power Yoga:
- NuPowerYoga with Cindy Lunsford (2017)
- 5Elements Vinyasa Flow with Noelle Whittington (2017)
- Detox Vinyasa Yoga with Kristin Cooper-Gulak (2018)
- Vinyasa and Power Flow with Noelle Whittington (2018)
- Restorative Yoga with Colleen Dwyer (2016), with Noelle Whittington (2017)
- Gentle Yoga and Meditation with Jessica Bichler (2018)
- Special Populations:
- Prenatal and Postpartum Yoga with Gracia Gimse McKinley (2017), and with Heather Metzler (2017)
- Kids Yoga with Jessica Bichler (2018)
- Senior Yoga with Jamie Annette (2018)
- Yoga Service Leadership: Yoga for PTSD & Special Populations with Kristin Cooper-Gulak (2018)
- Trauma Master Series with Ruth Buczynski, The National Institute for the Clinical Application of Behavioral Medicine (2018)
- The Yoga Way: Toward Psychological Health & Wellbeing with Holle Black (2018)
- Christina Phipps Foundation Gentle Yoga for Breast Cancer Patients, Survivors, and Caregivers with Beth Daugherty (2019)
- Hands-on Assisting with Noelle Whittington (2017)
- Anatomy of Yoga with Jessica Hartmann (2017)
- Business of Yoga with Jessica Bichler (2017)
- Elements of Dance with Pat Cohen, National Dance Education Organization (2017)
- Thai Yoga with Fransisco Bermudez-Morales (2019)
- Progressing Ballet Technique with Megan Berlint-Nicko (2020)
- Yoga Ethics for Transforming Racism with Kristine Weber and Kiesha Battles (2020)
- The Yoga and Neuroscience Connection with Kristine Weber (2021)
- The Wisdom of Ayurveda with Dr. Bhaswati Bhattacharya (2021)
Lisa also studies classical ballet and other modalities of dance. She teaches accessible, adaptable, and inclusive dance classes to all ages, Progressing Ballet Technique classes to all levels, as well as her own brand of ballet barre fitness.. She believes dance and creative movement is for all bodies and infuses the elements of strength, balance, flexibility, breath, humor, love, and a deep knowledge of human anatomy and physiology into her classes.
Lisa earned her BS in Biology from The College of William and Mary in 1996 and her MS in Immunology and Microbiology from Virginia Tech in 2002. She has research and teaching experience in the fields of immunotoxicology, human anatomy and physiology, medical diagnostics, food science, and served as the research oenologist and winemaker in the Virginia Tech Department of Food Science and Technology. Her research and education experiences in health and food sciences resulted in a passion for exploring healthy, joyful lifestyle choices that support each practitioner on their unique journey through public and private classes, workshops, Yoga Teacher Trainings, and individual mentoring.
Aaron Richards, Kunga Yoga School 200 HR Teacher Training Apprentice to be Kunga Faculty & Instructor, RYT200
Aaron began his yoga journey in 2013. With a background in athletics and competitive sports, Aaron took his skills as a coach and athlete to the mat in order to bring yoga to as many populations as possible. Aaron works to teach that all people are able to find a relationship with their body and mind.
Aaron is RYT200 certified with Yoga Alliance through the Kunga Yoga School. Kunga yoga teaches service, ahimsa (non-violence), and compassion for all beings. Aaron studied under Nicole Boyle, Kristen Cooper-Gulak, and Lisa Pelanne. In 2019, Aaron studied with Cindy Lunsford to become certified in the Barkan Method. Currently, Aaron participates in the Kunga 300 HR Program, graduating to 500 HR in December 2019.
As a public school teacher, Aaron strives to bring movement and mindfulness into his classroom. He has worked with young people since 2011, and he sees teaching youth to be confident, capable members of their community is the surest path to establishing the good life for all. With yoga, Aaron encourages mindful breathing, communication, and regular breaks for movement during instruction.
Before yoga, Aaron’s primary focus was long-distance running. When he discovered yoga, much of that focus was redirected towards learning asana practice and incorporating the other limbs into his life. Being a runner, Aaron knows well the demands that athletes put on their bodies. Yoga created the balanced approach to athletics that Aaron now encourages his students to integrate.
Aaron lives in the rural surroundings of Blacksburg, VA with his wife and two dogs.
Erin Nuckols, Kunga Yoga School 200 HR Teacher Training Apprentice to be Kunga Faculty, RYT200
Erin Nuckols started her Yogic journey as a teenager with her mom. She began learning and practicing in earnest in 2010, studying Zen Buddhism, Yoga Anatomy, and Asian history. In 2015, Erin created space to dedicate time for a 200hr. Yoga Teacher Training (YTT). She became Yoga Alliance-certified with the ShambhavaYOGA Center at Om Ananda Studio in Colorado. Her primary teachers are Sarada and Shivaji Erickson with the support of Aramati Casper. In 2016, Erin studied in Pune, India under the tutelage of Rewati Salelkar, a B.K.S. Iyengar practitioner and teacher. Erin began a 300hr. YTT at In Balance Yoga through the Kunga School of Yoga created by Kristen Cooper-Gulak. She is currently apprenticing to become an instructor with the Kunga School for 200hr. trainees. Her primary teachers include Nicole Boyle, Lisa Pelanne, Noelle Whittington, and Ange Stopperan.
Erin is certified in Kunga 5Elements Flow and Ayurveda and Yogic Lifestyles. She believes deeply in the philosophy of “in Yoga, as in life.” She teaches a non-dogmatic style in her classes, focusing on alignment and personal growth as determined by each student as an individual. The Eight Limbs provide the foundation for Erin’s teaching. Erin is excited to create space with students to bring growth, change, and peace into their lives. Erin specializes in Yoga Foundations, Restorative, Seniors, and Women’s Health yoga. She is available for private yoga instruction. Erin’s current teaching schedule is listed at www.lunarelm.com