To provide our yogis with a community of movement, breath, mindfulness, sweat and service in a space they feel at hOMe – “Welcome OM!”
In Balance Yoga was founded by Becky McDaniel in December of 2009. Becky decided to pursue her calling and attended seminary in the Episcopal Church. She sold the studio to her childhood friends and also Blacksburg natives, Nicole and Justin Boyle in July of 2013. In Balance Yoga expanded to 1512 N. Main Street in July of 2017, custom built studio by Justin Boyle’s green construction company – Green Valley Builders, Inc.
Our mission is to support and lead a yoga community that practices and provides a variety of yoga to all populations and is passionate about giving back to each other and our planet! To progress and expand our community we offer an array of studio classes, trainings, workshops, and retreats within our yoga studio and globally.
In Balance Yoga is a social entrepreneurship business model giving back each quarter to 3 different non-profits from public classes, workshops, trainings and fundraisers and also hosting many other donations classes to support causes and organizations locally, regionally, nationally and internationally that hold a special place in our students’ hearts.
We value positivity, service, connection, and fun with a passion for sharing movement!
Nicole Fitzwater LaFon, Owner & Teacher, Kunga Yoga School Faculty, E-RYT500, YACEP, Chief Yoga Nerd 🤓
- 200 Hour Foundational Teacher Training with Becky McDaniel in June 2013 at In Balance Yoga Studio
- 500 Hour with Sri Dharma Mittra in NYC at the Dharma Yoga Center, Life of A Yogi program in November 2014
- 300 Hour with Jimmy Barkan in Ft. Lauderdale, FL in the Barkan Method of Hot Yoga in October 2017
- 300 Hour with the Kunga Yoga School at Wilmington Yoga Center & In Balance Yoga Studio in July 2019
- Specializing in: 5Elements Flow & Ayurveda, Seniors, Kids, Pre/Postnatal, Service Leadership / Yoga for PTSD, Gentle & Meditation, Hands on Assisting, Vinyasa & Power Flow, Detox, Anatomy, Business of Yoga, and Restorative
- Completed her Professional Level 200 HR Kunga Yoga School Leader Apprenticeship with Kristin Cooper-Gulak and Noelle Whittington in June of 2019 to be Lead Kunga Yoga School Faculty
- Restorative Yoga Teacher Training with Colleen Dwyer in 2015 & 2016 at In Balance Yoga Studio
- Certified in First, Second, and Advanced Degree Reiki Master with Nicola-Jayne Aymes, International Center for Reiki Training and Holy Fire from 2014-2015 at Reiki Journey
- Reiki for Animals with Nicola-Jayne Aymes in 2015 at Reiki Journey
- Advanced Art of Assisting with Baptiste Yoga in 2015 with Brandon Compagnone
- Anatomy Workshop with Akke Hulburt and Chris Pohowsky 2016 and 2017
- Five Hour Yin Training with Cindy Lunsford in November 2016 at In Balance Yoga Studio
- Attended Service Retreat with Kunga Yoga and worked / volunteered at Homes of Hope Orphanage in India in December 2016 – January 2017
- NuPower Method: Power Yoga + Strength Training in March 2017
- Certified in Aerial Yoga with FlyDog Yoga in April 2017
- Attended Mindbody University, November 2017, Boston, MA
- Co-led Yoga Retreats in Nosara, Costa Rica: January 2018 and 2019, Cliffs of Moher, Ireland with Above Yoga: September 2018, Service Retreat in India in March 2019
- Christina Phipps Foundation Certification: Yoga for Cancer Patients, Survivors and Caretakers at In Balance Yoga, February 2019
- Thai Yoga Bodywork Level 1 Certification with Francisco Morales-Bermudez at In Balance Yoga, February 2019
- Certified in Energy Medicine Yoga with Donna Eden and Lauren Walker, Sept of 2021
- Upcoming Retreats with Nicole: Costa Rica January 2022 and Ireland in September of 2022 with Above Yoga
Nicole teaches at In Balance Yoga and anywhere she can throughout the world. She has taught at Floyd Yoga Jam since 2015. Nicole teaches to all levels / abilities, meeting each student where they are. Nicole will teach both public classes or private sessions to individuals / groups.
Before having her dream job and becoming the Owner of In Balance Yoga, Nicole worked in development with both Virginia Tech and the University of Virginia for 5 years, 7 years in sports marketing as Marketing Manager with CBS Sports (University of Maryland, Virginia, LSU, Utah and corporate) and advertising with BBDO New York on the Gillette account. Nicole loves to share movement and breath and to meet each student where they are on their mat. Yoga helped her find her true self and self-care practice and she hopes to cultivate a community of service at In Balance Yoga to impact those in need in the area and beyond.
Nicole is grateful fo all of the opportunities and experiences she has had: Nicole and her husband, BJ, have a daughter named Cleo, and she has two older sisters – P & G, as well as a dogs, Ogden and Mojo, and a cat, Hobie.
Devin Dausin, Studio Manager & Instructor, RYT 500
Devin is originally from California but she has called Virginia home since 2008. Devin obtained her bachelor degree in biology from Eastern Illinois University and her master degree in counselor education from Clemson University. Devin initially began practicing yoga as an undergraduate college student but she didn’t get serious about it until 2014 when she committed to making holistic wellness a focus in her life. Devin currently works as the Studio Manager for In Balance Yoga and teaches public yoga classes several times a week at the studio.
Devin has completed the following trainings:
- 200 Hour Foundational Teacher Training with Nicole LaFon, at In Balance Yoga Studio, June 2016
Aerial Yoga Teacher Training with Eliza Whiteman, at In Balance Yoga Studio, March 2018
300 Hour Barkan Method of Hot Yoga Level II & III, with Jimmy Barkan, in Ft. Lauderdale and at In Balance Yoga studio, June 2019
Yin Yoga: The Functional Approach, Paul Grilley, Online, February 2021
Kunga 300 Hour Yoga & Lifestyle Teacher Training, with Kunga faculty, at In Balance Yoga Studio, anticipated August/September 2021
Devin loves teaching the Hot Flow-Set Sequences and also the challenge of creating her own classes for Warm Flow. Devin is known for her playlists and how they connect music with the movement of yoga. Devin delights in interacting with each student during her class, whether that’s through conversation, or a thoughtful assist during practice. Devin is also learning how to play the harmonium!
Lisa Pelanne, MS, E-RYT500, YACEP
Lisa is grateful to share wellness practices including yoga, meditation, dance, health education, and Thai Yoga bodywork to all populations. She is passionate about teaching accessible, adaptive, and inclusive well-being practices that support each practitioner’s unique journey by focusing on acceptance, gratitude, grace, and compassion.
Lisa is a Faculty Yoga Teacher Trainer with the Kunga Yoga School at In Balance Yoga in Blacksburg, Virginia leading 200 and 300-hour Yoga Teacher Trainings. She also leads workshops in Yin Yoga and Meditation. She completed her 200-hour Yoga Teacher Training with Nicole Lafon in 2016 at In Balance Yoga in Blacksburg, Virginia and her 300-hour Kunga Yoga Service Leadership Yoga Teacher Training with Kunga faculty at the Wilmington Yoga Center in North Carolina in 2018.
A passionate student, she studies widely across disciplines to inform her worldview and teaching philosophy. She is grateful to her many teachers including Marion Mease, Nicole Lafon, Lynn Theodose, Noelle Whittington, and Kristen Cooper-Gulak. She is grateful to have studied with:
- Yin Yoga with Richard Gartner (2016), with Cindy Lunsford (2016), and with Bernie Clark (2018)
- Acupoint Tapping with Dr. Peter Borten (2021)
- Barkan Method Hot Yoga with Nicole Lafon (2016)
- Vinyasa/Power Yoga:
- NuPowerYoga with Cindy Lunsford (2017)
- 5Elements Vinyasa Flow with Noelle Whittington (2017)
- Detox Vinyasa Yoga with Kristin Cooper-Gulak (2018)
- Vinyasa and Power Flow with Noelle Whittington (2018)
- Restorative Yoga with Colleen Dwyer (2016), with Noelle Whittington (2017)
- Gentle Yoga and Meditation with Jessica Bichler (2018)
- Special Populations:
- Prenatal and Postpartum Yoga with Gracia Gimse McKinley (2017), and with Heather Metzler (2017)
- Kids Yoga with Jessica Bichler (2018)
- Senior Yoga with Jamie Annette (2018)
- Yoga Service Leadership: Yoga for PTSD & Special Populations with Kristin Cooper-Gulak (2018)
- Trauma Master Series with Ruth Buczynski, The National Institute for the Clinical Application of Behavioral Medicine (2018)
- The Yoga Way: Toward Psychological Health & Wellbeing with Holle Black (2018)
- Christina Phipps Foundation Gentle Yoga for Breast Cancer Patients, Survivors, and Caregivers with Beth Daugherty (2019)
- Hands-on Assisting with Noelle Whittington (2017)
- Anatomy of Yoga with Jessica Hartmann (2017)
- Business of Yoga with Jessica Bichler (2017)
- Elements of Dance with Pat Cohen, National Dance Education Organization (2017)
- Thai Yoga with Fransisco Bermudez-Morales (2019)
- Progressing Ballet Technique with Megan Berlint-Nicko (2020)
- Yoga Ethics for Transforming Racism with Kristine Weber and Kiesha Battles (2020)
- The Yoga and Neuroscience Connection with Kristine Weber (2021)
- The Wisdom of Ayurveda with Dr. Bhaswati Bhattacharya (2021)
Lisa also studies classical ballet and other modalities of dance. She teaches accessible, adaptable, and inclusive dance classes to all ages, Progressing Ballet Technique classes to all levels, as well as her own brand of ballet barre fitness.. She believes dance and creative movement is for all bodies and infuses the elements of strength, balance, flexibility, breath, humor, love, and a deep knowledge of human anatomy and physiology into her classes.
Lisa earned her BS in Biology from The College of William and Mary in 1996 and her MS in Immunology and Microbiology from Virginia Tech in 2002. She has research and teaching experience in the fields of immunotoxicology, human anatomy and physiology, medical diagnostics, food science, and served as the research oenologist and winemaker in the Virginia Tech Department of Food Science and Technology. Her research and education experiences in health and food sciences resulted in a passion for exploring healthy, joyful lifestyle choices that support each practitioner on their unique journey through public and private classes, workshops, Yoga Teacher Trainings, and individual mentoring.
Betsy Walker, Part-Time New Student and New Membership Educator & Instructor, RYT200
Betsy Walker began to appreciate the mental, physical, and spiritual well-being that yoga cultivates over a decade ago, but more recently decided she wanted to share the practice of yoga with others as an instructor. Betsy completed her 200 Hour Foundational Yoga Teacher Training certification in 2015 after a 10-month training program with Satsang Yoga at In Balance Yoga. Betsy received her certification as a 5Elements Flow Yoga teacher with the Kunga Yoga School and Kristin Cooper-Gulak with Noelle Whittington at IBY in December 2017. She loves teaching the hot series, as well as sharing an invigorating yet accessible vinyasa practice supported by a great playlist. Betsy has also completed restorative yoga trainings and works with children and private clients. Betsy is currently pursuing her Kunga 300 Hour Yoga & Lifestyle Teacher Training through the Kunga Yoga School at In Balance Yoga Studio.
In addition to her passion for the practice and philosophy of Yoga, Betsy loves reading, traveling, horseback riding, and spending time with her family, friends and dogs.
That Dude Jonny, Part Time Kunga Yoga Teacher Trainer Promoter & Instructor, RYT200
Dat Dude Jonny is a consciousness artist rooted in movement, mindfulness, and self-awareness. Often on the road, Jonny is currently based out of Blacksburg, VA. His classes are intertwined with musically inspired movement and always spread a message of unity. Utilizing elements of production & performance learned through his B.F.A. in theatre arts from Virginia Tech, his events and workshops often morph into an immersive experience.
Jonny received his first 200 HR yoga certification from In Balance in 2017 and has since taught at studios, festivals, colleges, and events across the country. He is currently participating and assisting with another 200 HR YTT led by IBY regular guest-teacher Yogi J Miles. Along his travels he has been fortunate to establish both personal and professional connections with many of the industry’s biggest teachers and organizations.
Off the yoga mat, he works with businesses, organizations, and universities on pursuits to truly diversify spaces by leading conversations on anti-racism and inclusivity. Years ago, Jonny began exploring how to make our yoga community more representative and inviting to all. In 2019 he helped to establish a diversity scholarship fund for the YTT program at In Balance.
He is also a founding partner and Chief Yoga Officer for the yoga mat brand: Metta Mats. The company creates the industry’s most vibrant and functional art-adorned mats. Currently based out of Philadelphia, the company began in Christiansburg, VA founded and ran by Hokie alumni. The initial research & development stages of the brand is what first led Jonny to In Balance Yoga and began the relationship he has since been able to establish with our truly amazing community.
Aaron Richards, Kunga Yoga School 200 HR Teacher Training Apprentice to be Kunga Faculty & Instructor, RYT200
Aaron began his yoga journey in 2013. With a background in athletics and competitive sports, Aaron took his skills as a coach and athlete to the mat in order to bring yoga to as many populations as possible. Aaron works to teach that all people are able to find a relationship with their body and mind.
Aaron is RYT200 certified with Yoga Alliance through the Kunga Yoga School. Kunga yoga teaches service, ahimsa (non-violence), and compassion for all beings. Aaron studied under Nicole Boyle, Kristen Cooper-Gulak, and Lisa Pelanne. In 2019, Aaron studied with Cindy Lunsford to become certified in the Barkan Method. Currently, Aaron participates in the Kunga 300 HR Program, graduating to 500 HR in December 2019.
As a public school teacher, Aaron strives to bring movement and mindfulness into his classroom. He has worked with young people since 2011, and he sees teaching youth to be confident, capable members of their community is the surest path to establishing the good life for all. With yoga, Aaron encourages mindful breathing, communication, and regular breaks for movement during instruction.
Before yoga, Aaron’s primary focus was long-distance running. When he discovered yoga, much of that focus was redirected towards learning asana practice and incorporating the other limbs into his life. Being a runner, Aaron knows well the demands that athletes put on their bodies. Yoga created the balanced approach to athletics that Aaron now encourages his students to integrate.
Aaron lives in the rural surroundings of Blacksburg, VA with his wife and two dogs.
Erin Nuckols, Kunga Yoga School 200 HR Teacher Training Apprentice to be Kunga Faculty, RYT200
Erin Nuckols started her Yogic journey as a teenager with her mom. She began learning and practicing in earnest in 2010, studying Zen Buddhism, Yoga Anatomy, and Asian history. In 2015, Erin created space to dedicate time for a 200hr. Yoga Teacher Training (YTT). She became Yoga Alliance-certified with the ShambhavaYOGA Center at Om Ananda Studio in Colorado. Her primary teachers are Sarada and Shivaji Erickson with the support of Aramati Casper. In 2016, Erin studied in Pune, India under the tutelage of Rewati Salelkar, a B.K.S. Iyengar practitioner and teacher. Erin began a 300hr. YTT at In Balance Yoga through the Kunga School of Yoga created by Kristen Cooper-Gulak. She is currently apprenticing to become an instructor with the Kunga School for 200hr. trainees. Her primary teachers include Nicole Boyle, Lisa Pelanne, Noelle Whittington, and Ange Stopperan.
Erin is certified in Kunga 5Elements Flow and Ayurveda and Yogic Lifestyles. She believes deeply in the philosophy of “in Yoga, as in life.” She teaches a non-dogmatic style in her classes, focusing on alignment and personal growth as determined by each student as an individual. The Eight Limbs provide the foundation for Erin’s teaching. Erin is excited to create space with students to bring growth, change, and peace into their lives. Erin specializes in Yoga Foundations, Restorative, Seniors, and Women’s Health yoga. She is available for private yoga instruction. Erin’s current teaching schedule is listed at www.lunarelm.com
OUR IN BALANCE YOGA TEAM
Grateful for our diverse group of teachers