To provide our yogis with a community of movement, breath, mindfulness, sweat and service in a space they feel at hOMe – “Welcome OM!”
In Balance Yoga was founded by Becky McDaniel in December of 2009. Becky decided to pursue her calling and attended seminary in the Episcopal Church. She sold the studio to her childhood friends and also Blacksburg natives, Nicole and Justin Boyle in July of 2013. In Balance Yoga expanded to 1512 N. Main Street in July of 2017, custom built studio by Justin Boyle’s green construction company – Green Valley Builders, Inc.
Our mission is to support and lead a yoga community that practices and provides a variety of yoga to all populations and is passionate about giving back to each other and our planet! To progress and expand our community we offer an array of studio classes, trainings, workshops, and retreats within our yoga studio and globally.
In Balance Yoga is a social entrepreneurship business model giving back each quarter to 3 different non-profits from public classes, workshops, trainings and fundraisers and also hosting many other donations classes to support causes and organizations locally, regionally, nationally and internationally that hold a special place in our students’ hearts.
We value positivity, service, connection, and fun with a passion for sharing movement!
Nicole Fitzwater Boyle, Owner & Instructor, E-RYT500, YACEP, Chief Yoga Nerd 🤓
Nicole is a Blacksburg native. She attended the University of Virginia and graduated with a B.S. in Commerce from the McIntire School of Commerce in 2001, and after 15 years of living away from the New River Valley returned home to her roots and her and her husband, Justin, purchased In Balance Yoga in the summer of 2013 from Becky McDaniel. Yoga found Nicole in January 2006 and they have been inseparable ever since. Nicole has practiced in studios all over the country and even internationally, focusing on the Bikram, Barkan, Baptiste, Ashtanga, Dharma Yoga traditions and most recently – the Kunga Yoga School. Her teachers include D’ana Baptiste, Becky McDaniel, Dharma Mittra, Jimmy Barkan and Kristin Cooper-Gulak. Nicole is grateful to her mentors and influencers over the years: Brittanie DeChino, Cindy Lunsford, Justin Blazejewski, Brendan Lentz, Lisa Rapp, Akke Hulburt, Lizzie Clark, Jennifer Elliott, Jeanmarie Paolillo, Colleen Dwyer and Noelle Whittington to name a few.
She completed her:
- 200 Hour Foundational Teacher Training with Becky McDaniel in 2013 at In Balance Yoga Studio
- 500 Hour with Sri Dharma Mittra in NYC at the Dharma Yoga Center, Life of A Yogi program in 2014
- 300 Hour with Jimmy Barkan in Ft. Lauderdale, FL in the Barkan Method of Hot Yoga in October 2017
- Began her third 300 Hour Certification with Kunga Yoga School at Wilmington Yoga Center in March 2017
- Began two-year apprenticeship under Kristin Cooper-Gulak with Wilmington Yoga Center and the Kunga Yoga School beginning her Professional Kunga Yoga Trainer Certification in 2017
- Restorative Yoga Teacher Training with Colleen Dwyer in 2015 & 2016 at In Balance Yoga studio
- Certified in First, Second, and Advanced Degree Reiki Master with Nicola-Jayne Aymes, International Center for Reiki Training and Holy Fire from 2014-2015 at Reiki Journey
- Reiki for Animals with Nicola-Jayne Aymes in 2015 at Reiki Journey
- Advanced Art of Assisting with Baptiste Yoga in 2015 with Brandon Compagnone
- Anatomy Workshop with Akke Hulburt and Chris Pohowsky (20 CEUs) 2016 and 2017
- Kunga Yoga 5Elements Flow & Ayurveda Yoga Teacher Training with Kristin Cooper-Gulak at Wilmington Yoga Center (32 Hours) in May 2016 and with Noelle Whittington in December 2017 at In Balance Yoga Studio
- Five Hour Yin Training with Cindy Lunsford in November 2016 at In Balance Yoga Studio
- Attended Service Retreat with Kunga Yoga and worked at Homes of Hope Orphanage in India in December 2016 – January 2017
- Kunga Yoga Service Leadership: Yoga for PTSD and Special Populations Teacher Training in March 2017
- NuPower Method: Power Yoga + Strength Training in March 2017
- Certified in Aerial Yoga with FlyDog Yoga in April 2017
- Kunga Pre and Postnatal Yoga Teacher Training at Wilmington Yoga Center in October 2017
- Kunga Yoga for Seniors Teacher Training October 2017 at In Balance Yoga Studio
- Kunga Yoga Hands on Assisting Teacher Training, November 2017 at Wilmington Yoga Center
- Attended Mindbody University, November 2017, Boston, MA
Nicole teaches at In Balance Yoga and anywhere she can throughout the New River Valley Community. She has taught at Floyd Yoga Jam since 2015. Nicole teaches heated and non-heated Flow, Barkan Method, Power Flow + Weights, Dharma Yoga, Aerial Yoga, Pool Yoga and Paddle Board Yoga regularly and private sessions and groups.
Before having her dream job and becoming the Owner of In Balance Yoga, Nicole worked in development with both Virginia Tech and the University of Virginia for 5 years, 7 years in sports marketing with CBS Sports (University of Maryland, Virginia, LSU, Utah and corporate) and advertising with BBDO New York on the Gillette account. Nicole loves to share movement and breath and to meet each student where they are on their mat. Yoga helped her find her true self and self-care and she hopes to cultivate a community of service at In Balance Yoga to impact those in need in the area and beyond. Nicole is grateful to her husband, Justin, who helps with the studio every day. They have a dog, Ogden, and a cat, Hobie. Nicole has been a practicing vegan since September 2014. Nicole’s advice: practice yoga with as many teachers in as many places as you can…to learn and live as much as possible. Travel! Be receptive. #practice #alwaysastudent #lifelonglearning #movement #community #service #om
Keala Mason, Studio Manager & Instructor, RYT250
Keala hails from Harrisonburg, Virginia. She obtained her undergraduate degree in Art & Art History and her Masters degree in Kinesiology from James Madison University. Keala previously worked as the Coordinator of Sport Clubs & Youth Programs at JMU Recreation Center. She was a fitness instructor and yoga teacher at JMU throughout undergraduate, graduate school, and as a professional. She taught for four studios in Harrisonburg and was on adjunct faculty for JMU and Blue Ridge Community College.
She completed her:
- Group Cycling Specialty Certification in June 2010
- 200 Hour with YogaFit in June 2010
- Kids Yoga Training inJune 2010
- NETA Group Exercise Certification in May 2013
- ACE Group Fitness Exercise Certification in July 2014
- Barre Certification in June 2014
- 250 Hour with Evolation in August 2014
- Barre Connect Specialty Certification in May 2015
- Restorative Yoga Teacher Training with Colleen Dwyer in October 2016
- NuPower Sculpt: Power Yoga + Weights with Cindy Lunsford in March 2017
- Yin Yoga Training with Cindy Lunsford in November 2017
- Aerial Yoga Certification with FlyDog Yoga in April 2017
- Started her 300 Hour with Jimmy Barkan and the Barkan Method of Hot Yoga Level II / III in Fort Lauderdale, FL October 2017
Keala is a seasoned fitness instructor in numerous fitness formats (TRX, barre, aerobics, dance, spin) – but her favorite to teach and practice is yoga. Keala loves to show others that movement and exercise can change your life – if you allow it and find inspiration within. She blends both challenge and compassion in her classes and loves learning more and relating to each student. Off of her mat you can find her listening to music, running outside on trails, exploring nature, reading, watching movies, traveling, or spending time with her college sweetheart.
OUR IN BALANCE YOGA TEAM
Grateful for our diverse group of teachers